EARTH, CLAY AND SANDING FOR BUILDING
For the love of EARTH!
This weekend we explore the element of Earth in the village of Greatham, GU33 6HA. The soil beneath our feet and the plethora of incredible things it can do, from building houses to growing the food we use to build our bodies.
This weekend will seek to bring you to a deeper understanding of Permaculture through Earth for Building. We will be taking the teaching elements in the beautiful natural build roundhouse classroom. Learn how to create these stunning natural structures whilst actually sitting inside a living and breathing roundhouse, a wonderful way to absorb all this knowledge.
- Introduction to Earth in Permaculture, studying the Ethics and Principles
- Observations Exercise – the element: earth, feeling different clay and sand mixes
- Learn how to source clay and find it in abundance all around us
- Find out how to test the clay for use in building
- Getting our hands into the clay, learning about the different clay mixes for building plaster and blocks
- Make some cob balls, adobe bricks and test some natural plasters
- Make a small earth structure… a walls, arches and dome
- All the ingredient for a clay bread or pizza oven dome!
- Have fun bring a friend, bring your kids! and play with the beautiful materials of clay!
This weekend is all about revelling in the wisdom of the Earth, discovering incredibly intelligent design that we can begin to incorporate in our lives. Expect lots of fun and laughter, getting our hands mucky and leaving with some awesome knowledge from a master of natural building and Permaculture! This will be a wonderfully community spirited project – come join us!
Camping is available at Greatham Village Hall, St John’s Field, but need to agreed prior to arrival.
Bring your own tent and bedding etc.
There are toilet facilities at the campsite, but no showers, we can offer showers at the neighbours house if needed.
You are welcome to camp with us from the evening before the course begins.
We would like to make sure this opportunity is available to all people from all backgrounds, wealth, ethnicity, gender, sex, sexuality, identity etc.
Families are welcome with children and 8-18 years plus are able to attend alone parents will need to sign a waiver at drop off.
Getting involved further along with the build might be possible. Please get in contact at firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
There’s a WhatsApp Group you can join to hear more about it all: https://chat.whatsapp.com/JUxBEULuPyuDds5iKmAVcM
Vegan/Sugar free – Lunch will be provided on the teaching days. Fresh salads from the garden, and orchard fresh apples as well as a selection of teas and coffee for break times.
Meals will be nutritionally balanced to provide an exquisite experience for your tastebuds as well as filling your bellies and giving you plenty of energy for the teaching days.
Please bring some food to add to the pot for the weekend – collaborative cooking will be encouraged throughout the weekend!
Please advise us of any dietary requirements so preparations can be made in advance or bring your own to supplement.
Flow of a Typical Day:
- Flow of a Typical Day Morning Informal Yoga/Movement Session will be offered from 8am.
- Breakfast Self Organised at Camp Site PotLuck Porridge (do bring something to add to the pot).
- Followed by all meeting together at 9am for the Circle Check in.
- Session One – 10am – 1pm (with a 15 mins tea and snack break at 11.30).
- Lunch Break 1 – 2pm – Vegan warm Indian lightly spiced kitchari and fresh foraged kitchen garden salad lunch will be brought to the site and we will eat together there.
- Session Two – 2pm – 5pm (with a 15 mins tea and snack break at 3.30).
- Relax time is your own, head to camp site.
- Dinner Self Organised at Camp Site – perhaps a potluck stew (do bring something to add to the pot).
- The evening is your own – self organised campfires, sing songs and story telling welcome.
We are asking for £30 to cover the costs of workshop for the weekend. Concessions are available, please contact email@example.com for details.